Fishing merit badge is a fun one for Boy Scout summer camp. Its a safer one when you use barbless hooks. My favorite part when I am with Scouts working on this badge - watching them cook the fish.
Fishing Merit Badge Requirements
- Do the following:
- Discuss the prevention of and treatment for the following health concerns that could occur while fishing, including cuts and scratches, puncture wounds, insect bites, hypothermia, dehydration, heat exhaustion, heatstroke, and sunburn.
- Explain how to remove a hook that has lodged in your arm.
- Name and explain five safety practices you should always follow while fishing.
- Discuss the differences between two types of fishing outfits. Point out and identify the parts of several types of rods and reels. Explain how and when each would be used. Review with your counselor how to care for this equipment.
- Demonstrate the proper use of two different types of fishing equipment.
- Demonstrate how to tie the following knots: clinch, Palomar, turle, blood loop (barrel knot), and double surgeon’s loop. Explain how and when each knot is used.
- Name and identify five basic artificial lures and five natural baits and explain how to fish with them. Explain why baitfish are not to be released.
- Do the following:
- Explain the importance of practicing Leave No Trace techniques. Discuss the positive effects of Leave No Trace on fishing resources.
- Discuss the meaning and importance of catch and release. Describe how to properly release a fish safely to the water.
- Obtain and review the regulations affecting game fishing where you live. Explain why they were adopted and what is accomplished by following them.
- Explain what good outdoor sportsmanlike behavior is and how it relates to anglers. Tell how the Outdoor Code of the Boy Scouts of America relates to a fishing sports enthusiast, including the aspects of littering, trespassing, courteous behavior, and obeying fishing regulations.
- Catch at least one fish. If regulations and health concerns permit, clean and cook a fish you have caught. Otherwise, acquire a fish and cook it.
Remember - Barbless hooks and lures are safer for scouts and better for the fish